Arts Midwest World Fest presents international musical ensembles in intensive week-long residencies in smaller Midwest communities. Its purpose is to foster an understanding of and appreciation for global uniqueness and differences. The residencies consist of school concerts, workshops, and outreach activities, and culminate in a public concert.
To extend the cultural experience to the classroom, Arts Midwest provides participating communities with a curriculum that helps students and teachers better understand and appreciate the customs and traditions of the visiting ensembles. We hope that studying other cultures will spark a lasting curiosity in both teachers and students that will result in further exploration of the diverse and fascinating cultures of the world.
Unni Boksasp Ensemble / Norway
Arts Midwest World Fest’s objectives are to:
- present high-caliber, accessible international artists to small- or mid-sized Midwest communities;
- provide a multifaceted experience to community residents, particularly young people;
- integrate the artists and their music into a broader social, cultural, political, and historical framework;
- encourage young people to explore issues and understand concerns of diverse cultures; and
- create a lasting musical and cultural impact on participants.