A national touring exhibition that honored the legacy of the acclaimed Native American artist George Morrison
The exhibition of nearly 80 drawings, paintings, prints, and sculptures surveyed the prolific career of this distinctive and well-loved artist whose work drew from his physical and spiritual homelands and speaks to both American urban settings and to the solitude of his Northern Minnesota roots.
- Plains Art Museum, Fargo, North Dakota: June 16–September 1, 2013
- Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, New York, New York: October 5, 2013–February 23, 2014
- Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, Indianapolis, Indiana: March 29–September 14, 2014
- Heard Museum, Phoenix, Arizona: October 23, 2014–January 12, 2015
- Minnesota History Center, St. Paul, Minnesota: February 14–April 26, 2015
Partnerships and support
Modern Spirit: The Art of George Morrison was organized by the Minnesota Museum of American Art and Arts Midwest, with the Plains Art Museum. The exhibition and its national tour were supported by corporate sponsor Ameriprise Financial, foundation sponsor Henry Luce Foundation, and the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community. Major support was provided by the National Endowment for the Arts and the generous contributions of individuals across the Midwest.