Independent Showcases allow artists, managers, and agents to capitalize on the avid audience of presenters planning their upcoming seasons. In 2017, more than 200 independent and group independent showcases were listed in the Conference publications as taking place at or near the Conference venue(s) over the four-day event.
Most often, showcase artists/producers rent a meeting room in the Conference hotel; others choose an offsite venue near the Conference hotel. These venues may include theaters, clubs, churches, cafés, or other sites. Your choice of venue will depend on availability, you or your artists’ schedules, and the venue’s suitability for your performance and budget needs.
1. JW Marriott in Indianapolis
Arts Midwest and the JW Marriott have worked together to provide all of the information you need to select a room and start planning an Independent Showcase at the Conference hotel.
Room Request Process
- Interested producers must complete the room request form no later than Friday, March 9, 2018 at 5 p.m. Central Time.
- All of the producers who complete the form by March 9 are entered into a lottery that randomly determines the order in which producers can choose their rooms. The order in which producers are contacted is random regardless of past showcase history or how early the form is submitted.
- Starting the week of March 12, Arts Midwest staff will contact each producer via email to discuss availability, and producers are asked to respond and confirm their room within 24 hours.
- If a producer’s preferred room is not available, Arts Midwest staff will help the producer determine their best alternative based on remaining availability.
2. Other local venues
Artists and managers are encouraged to explore other venues in Indianapolis. Download the list below and contact venues directly to confirm availability and rates.
Conference Call for Interested Producers
Arts Midwest will host an informational, webinar-style conference call for all past and interested Independent Showcase producers. During the call, staff will explain the room request process and provide insight about this year’s showcase rooms at the Conference hotel, the JW Marriott in Indianapolis. It will also be an opportunity for producers to ask questions and start to explore opportunities for collaboration with other producers.
Tuesday, February 27, 2018
2:30 p.m. Central Time
Arts Midwest strongly encourages scheduling showcases during the dates and times below, which follow Conference programming each day. The Conference will not promote or publish listings for performances scheduled outside of these times.
|Wednesday, September 5, 2018||8:30 p.m.– midnight||Following the Opening Party at Indiana State Museum|
|Thursday, September 6, 2018||9:30 p.m.– midnight||Following Spotlight Showcases at Indiana Repertory Theatre|
|Friday, September 7, 2018||9:30 p.m.– midnight||Following Spotlight Showcases at Indiana Repertory Theatre|
- Independent Showcase producer must register for the 2018 Arts Midwest Conference no later than May 24 and must purchase an exhibit space package OR attend with an organization that has purchased an exhibit space package.
- Showcases may only include performances by artists/ensembles that purchased an exhibit space package or are formally represented by a manager/agent with an exhibit space.
- Producer and showcasing artists/ensembles are responsible for any necessary licenses or permission to perform, promote, broadcast, transmit, or display any copyrighted works (including, without limitation, music, audio, or video recordings, art, etc.).
Many artists and agents team up to produce a showcase, and it is up to those interested parties to contact one another and explore the possibilities for collaborating on a group showcase. When you register for the Conference, indicate that you’d like more information about connecting with others interested in group showcasing, and we will compile and distribute everyone’s contact information so that you can connect.