New: Update to the lottery process
Providing showcase opportunities for both self-represented and agent-represented artists/ensembles in Independent Showcases is a priority for this year’s programming. To ensure the selected artists/ensembles included both types of representation it was previously announced that the lottery process would include a percentage of spots to be designated for each group. Effective July 22, 2021, the lottery will no longer be divided and will now be conducted in pool inclusive of all completed applications with a of 20% of the spots awarded to self-represented artists/ensembles.
No change is necessary for previously submitted applications.
Read more about the updates to this year’s lottery process below and enter the Independent Showcase Lottery by July 30.
- This year’s Independent Showcases will feature 90 artists/ensembles selected by a lottery process to showcase via a 15-minute video on the virtual conference platform
- All selected artists/ensembles must abide by the terms of the Attendee Agreements
- The 2021 Independent Showcases will feature 90 available spots
- The application deadline to be included in the lottery is July 30, 2021
- One submission per artist/ensemble is allowed
- Completed applications will be combined into one pool and artists/ensembles will be selected randomly by lottery process
- Showcase spots will be allotted based on the order generated by the lottery with a of 20% (18) of the spots awarded to self-represented artists/ensembles
- A maximum of two artists represented by the same agent/manager will be selected to showcase
- Timeslots will be assigned to selected artists via a lottery. Each day will feature thirty artists/ensembles with five concurrent showcases at one time on the following days:
- Friday, September 17
- Monday, September 20
- Tuesday, September 21
- 10 artists/ensembles will be selected via lottery for a waitlist should a showcase slot become available
- All applicants will be notified of their status by early August
- There is no fee to apply to the showcase lottery
- Selected artists will be responsible for a $50 listing fee
- All artists selected to participate in Independent Showcases must register for the Conference or be represented by a registered organization at the Lead Attendee rate ($110) or Lead Exhibitor rate ($135)
- Each selected artist/ensemble will receive a coupon code for one additional registration at the reduced rate of $25. Any additional artists or representatives who are part of an ensemble or organization must register at the Additional Attendee rate ($90)
- Each selected artist/ensemble will be assigned one 15-minute time slot to display their video.
- Live stream performances are discouraged
- All videos must be submitted via YouTube or Vimeo link/embed code and will first air at a designated time, assigned by Arts Midwest, during the 2021 Online Conference.
- It is suggested that the video is no more than 3 years old, is representative of artist/ensemble’s current or recent work, and captures the spirit of a live performance
- One video link is allowed per time slot for each selected artist/ensemble
- After the initial airing, videos will be available on-demand
- Listing forms will be sent to selected artists in early August, with completed form and video links due August 26
- Please read the 2021 Independent Showcase Agreements